Fetal Position Podcast Show Notes
Hey everyone! Welcome to episode 5! I would like to deviate from the abortion topic and dive into bioethics in general every 5 episodes. And because this is episode 5, it is the first deviation from abortion specifically. I talk a little bit about embryonic stem cell lines in this episode, and will be talking about that in a future episode. Let me know what you think! Should we genetically engineer our children?
- Original paper: Why You Should Genetically Engineer Your Children (all relevant references are included at the end of the paper)
- Rethinking Aristotle: The Unwarranted Rejection of ‘Final Causation’ in Modern Evolutionary Biology
- Cole’s development: Week 33 (baby center)
- Biotech Company Granted Ethical Permission To Attempt To Use Stem Cells To Reactivate The Brains Of The Dead
- The Stem Cell Epistles by Michael A. Buratovich
- Seat belts & Kidney Markets – My Introduction to Libertarianism
Holy cow this episode is SO LONG. Click here to listen to it in a new window.
Thanks for joining me for the Fetal Position, episode 3! In this episode, we discuss one of the common pro-life discussion tactics, trotting out the toddler. Trotting out the toddler is when you replace the unborn child with a 2-year-old in the conversation with the goal to move towards the most important question in the discussion: What is the unborn?
Here are the important links that I discuss in this episode:
If you like the show, please remember to leave me a review and a rating, and share the show with someone who you think would enjoy it. Thanks!
In episode 2 (link to iTunes here), we discuss how to create a productive dialogue on controversial topics; abortion in particular. Tips include how to not be weird, maintaining intellectual integrity, avoiding trolls, and others.
Links & more information from Episode 2:
List of tips:
- Don’t be weird!
- Maintain intellectual integrity
- Know your stuff & your opponents’ stuff
- Don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know”
- Finding common ground
- Listening to understand rather than just waiting for your chance to talk
- Treating everyone like they’re a valuable human being
- Have open-mindedness & being genuinely humble
- Bonus! Know your trolls
A Defense of Abortion by David Boonin (for a possible book study? maybe?)
This is the first episode of the Fetal Position Podcast, a bioethics podcast dedicated to discussing the complex issues surrounding the position of the fetus in our society. Episode 1 is an introductory episode; including who I am and what this podcast is going to be about.
Here is the post I read:
Abortion101: Laying a Pro-Life Foundation – ElijiahT.wordpress.com
And if you want to listen to it on YouTube: